Thursday, April 13, 2023

Day 13 - 4/13/2023

 Day 13 - 4/13/2023

"Fan Family - Part 1"

I've never written a poem about football

Which, if you know me at all

Should cause your jaw to drop

As so much of my life

Revolves around this 

Rather silly contest amongst

Men I will only rarely meet

And even more rarely 

Communicate with 

In any meaningful way

And, for that matter, 

Why does so much of my life

Revolve around it

I make no excuses for the

Rabid, fanatical 

One-track-minded

Fire breathing, TAMPA screaming

Creature I become 

For a minimum of seventeen weeks

Each year

*Plus draft week, Hall of Fame Week, Training Camp, and most of the remaining off-season

I own it fully

Because it gives me joy

*Plus headaches, flop sweat, near-myocardial-infarctions, hangovers, acid indigestion, and angst

And because it is so much more

Than just a rather silly contest

It is a commonality and a conduit

Which has allowed me to me 

To come in to contact

With so many amazing people

Those other

Rabid, fanatical 

One-track-minded

Fire breathing, TAMPA screaming

Creatures I call

Fan Family

So, this poem isn't about football either

It's about them

And for them


To Be Continued...



No comments:

Post a Comment